My first long trip in the van, island-hopping up the Outer Hebrides on Caledonian MacBrayne ferries, what a fabulous trip.

Wednesday 24 June 2015

Birdwatcher's heaven! RSPB Balranald

Awoke to heavy rain so had a lie in and started blog. I had a hell of a shock last night - the corncrakes seemed to be right next to my van in the night, a really loud noise. I thought it was an alarm! The rain eased off, so followed sign saying Beach 40m.



Oh my word! This is the point of the campsite! A beautiful beach, with a walk across machair and then on to the RSPB reserve.



The ground was thick with arctic terns nesting, tiny flowers and lovely soft grass. I had a beautiful walk in my floppy wellies. Met a man with dog, who I was to see again several times over the next few days. Thankfully he didn't see me plunge up to my minty-bits in a large puddle, a la Dawn French.