My first long trip in the van, island-hopping up the Outer Hebrides on Caledonian MacBrayne ferries, what a fabulous trip.

Saturday 27 June 2015

St Kilda - at the edge of the world

St Kilda - 40 miles out into the Atlantic, about 3 hours each way, so an 8am start from Leverburgh on the Kilda Cruises boat Orca III, crewed by Angus and David. The crossing was ok for me - pretty bouncy, but I must have sea legs as I even managed a light breakfast, while at the next seat to me were two young men who had their heads in a bucket for the WHOLE 3 hours.

When you arrive at St Kilda, the boat isn't allowed to tie up, in case you introduce rats/cats/other nasties, so little groups were decanted in to a rib to cross over to the pier.





The island has a small museum made up of a schoolroom and chapel, and a display room with trays of birds' eggs and a description of life on the island before the evacuation in 1930. There is a small shop where I bought and posted a couple of postcards, then went for a walk through the ruins and up the hill, which was speckled with tiny flowers.










After a while the sun came out, so I had a bit of a sun bathe on the shore, watching a seal in the breakers. I was almost warm :-) In this area there are military buildings, pipework, roads and various concrete yards.

Welcome to the St Kilda International Sea and Airport Lounge













On the return trip we went round the island's towering stacks to see the puffins, fulmars and gannets, but the highlight for me was seeing BASKING SHARKSFabulous things. We also feasted on home made scones and jam, handed out by Angus.






On return, I skipped the rather pricey restaurants on the front and went to the chip butty van, and swapped a few grunts with the owner, who quite clearly wanted me out of there as soon as possible. I drove back along the Golden Road, via a beautiful village called Geocrab.