My first long trip in the van, island-hopping up the Outer Hebrides on Caledonian MacBrayne ferries, what a fabulous trip.

Monday 29 June 2015

Rainy Skye, and home via Moffat

Next morning, the rain continued and there were lots of grim faces on the campsite.

I set of to drive to Elgol, but gave up after 5 miles due to weather.




From there on a good day you can see the Torrins, Black Cullins, and Raasay island. However today is NOT a good day. It's time to go home.

I got an earlier ferry than planned, cutting my holiday short by 1.5 hours, which isn't bad for Scotland. I had a nice mooch at the nice shops at the terminal, and chatted to the lovely ferry staff.





Another lovely drive back via Mallaig/Arisaig, now somehow sunny and warm. This looks like a good area for a future trip. Although, at Loch Lomond, I was stuck behind Barratlantic lorry going 25mph for miles and miles. Through Glencoe and Glasgow.


I reached Moffat 6.30pm and my room at the Balmoral turned out to be a huge suite with a telly, sofa, big shower room, dressing gown and fluffy towels - bliss. Lamb chops and chips for tea in the bar.





Moffat is quite a town - it has the world's thinnest hotel, and the shortest street, Macadam's grave, a ram-shaped fountain, and a Robert the Bruce statue. It is an old spa town.