My first long trip in the van, island-hopping up the Outer Hebrides on Caledonian MacBrayne ferries, what a fabulous trip.

Tuesday 23 June 2015

Castlebay, South Uist and Benbecula

Spent the morning shopping (well an hour) and managed to visit most of the shops in Castlebay. Got some nice souvenirs but no bite cream to be had - they must all be immune. The heritage centre had the story of the various bastards who had ground down the residents for two hundred years, including shipping thousands off to Canada. As the final words said, it is good to know we are all equal in death.



Had a picnic lunch at the ferry terminal below, next to some lovely sculptures of otters.


Popped in to the pub called the AM Politician on Eriskay, named after a wrecked ship whose story is supposed to be linked to one of my favourite films - Whisky Galore! However, it was not quite as picturesque as I expected:



Drove over South Uist and Benbecula islands, over rocky wetlands along causeways along a single track road. Lots of warning signs about otters crossing but I didn't see any.













The campsite at RSPB Balranald is a flat field with no features, but has a thick carpet of flowers. I broke my bloody sodding awning. Also there is to be a ferry strike. I cooked some salmon for tea - are there no restaurants in this place? Sigh - I think I am a bit tetchy this evening.