My first long trip in the van, island-hopping up the Outer Hebrides on Caledonian MacBrayne ferries, what a fabulous trip.

Sunday 28 June 2015

Huisnius and over the sea to Skye

My last day in the Outer Hebrides, After a shower in the blackhouse I set off for my last explore. Unfortunately it is Sunday and everything's shut! So my plans for coffee shops and galleries have to be shelved. By chance I  took left turn outside Tarbut, and ended up on a beautiful 14-mile drive to a small beach called Huisnius.



On the way I passed through the grounds of an estate, and picked up some home-smoked salmon for lunch - the shop wasn't open, it just had an honesty box.


This is the life - lunch of smoked salmon, grapes and coffee overlooking the bay.







Back to Tarbert for the ferry to Uig on Skye. Guess who I met? Yes, the same chap again and he recommended a book called The Fragile Islands.


Skye is much more like the mainland, and as you arrive you see cliffs and trees, and then the roads have proper signposts, and there are adverts everywhere. In keeping with every other time I have visited Skye, the rain and mist closed in. I skipped many of the sights I had planned as they would have just been invisible. Portree looked nice however.


By the time I had set up at the Sligachan campsite, the weather was shocking. I finally managed to eat out - yay. I had a good meal in the bar - scallops and haggis. The campsite was pretty busy and I felt sorry for those in tents, the van was rocking in the wind and with the lashing rain I had a sleepless night. I was feeling tired and smelly, and so got online and booked into a hotel for the next night.